Monday, July 22, 2013

First Broken Bone

Brecklynn has just had a rough year. And she had to end off her 3rd year with a bang. 

Last Sunday (a week before her bday), she came upstairs after being put to bed. She was screaming her head off. At first we took it as a way she was trying to get out of sleeping. She tends to make several attempts to come upstairs every night after being put to bed. So just before we made her go back to bed, Curtis noticed something on her shoulder. He started comparing both sides of her shoulders and stated he thought she had broken her collar bone. 

I took a look at it and immediately noticed a lump on her bone. So I started to have a bit of panic set in. We called Curtis' mom who ran over to take a look. She came to the same conclusion. We called Curtis' brother. He came over and looked at it and said it probably wasn't broken and even if it was, there was nothing you could do but keep it stable. So with that, we just set her up upstairs for the night. Oh my gosh. That was the longest night. She's a side sleeper so every time she tried to sleep on her side she would scream in pain. I held her for awhile in the chair trying to help her get comfortable enough to sleep. So we barely got any sleep that night. 

Next day she was still in a ton of pain. Curtis' mom kept saying we just needed to take her in and figure something out to get her some pain meds etc. I was reluctant just because everything I had heard was that even if it was broken, there was nothing to be done. 

Well after the whole day of helping her do EVERYTHING and her being in so much pain, I made a call to our doctor. Man do I love him. He took my call on his cell phone and I asked him his opinion on what we should do. He told me that if it was his kid he would just get a sling and he perscribed us some medicine to help with the pain. So we were satisfied with that. But no more than 10 minutes later he calls me back. He said he did some research just to be sure he was right with his decision and feels it might actually be better to get an xray just be sure and make sure it was a clean break because if it wasn't there was things that needed to be done. So we took her to urgent care. Sure enough, I get this picture....its broken. Though I felt it was the whole time, the picture just put a pit in my stomach. I felt horrible for her. Worse yet she was having her first friend party on Friday and she's been so excited about it. 



Well Kayla came up a couple days later and brought a sling. It was HUGE. We tried to make it better and smaller. She did not like the sling. After a couple hours we took it off of her. But not an hour later, she was asking for it on again. I thinks he realized how much it helped to have it on.
That night, she got to open her presents from Grandma and Grandpa Meikle and Aunt Lorene and Kayla. In there was princess stickers which was perfect to decorate her sling with. 


We are now a week out and today she started to move her arm around and was excited that it wasn't hurting as bad. She still gets hurt if she falls or gets hit by something but the overrall pain is going down. Whew. Now on to the next challenge :)



No comments:

Post a Comment